What is Your Obligation to Pay Your Child's Uncovered Medical Expenses?

During a divorce or paternity action, many parents agree to share any medical costs for their child 50/50. However, if you earn less money than the other parent, you do NOT have to agree to that. Unless you do, the Court must order you and the other parent to share those expenses at a rate that reflects your incomes. For instance, if you earn $30,000/year and the other parent earns $70,000/year, then you legally will be responsible for only 30% of all uncovered medical expenses (i.e. things not covered by your health insurance, like co-pays); the other parent will be responsible for 70%.

it is important to have a family law attorney on your side to deal with issues like this. The Law Office of Summer R. Nichols is here to make sure you know all of your rights and do not get cheated at mediation or in court.

Contact us today for a FREE consultation and case evaluation.

Have you been served with an Administrative Child Support Action?

An administrative child support action is different from a circuit court child support action. An administrative child support action is based on your paternity having already been established by the appearance of your name on a child’s birth certificate, even if you were never married to the mother or have ever had a court order confirming your paternity. An administrative action establishes child support is a more automatic way than a regular court case.

If you are served with administrative child support paperwork, you should immediately file a petition in circuit court to have your child support case, non-paternity claims, or any related matters heard in full before the Court! Serving the Department of Revenue with that petition will HALT the administrative child support process! This can even be done by plain U.S. MAIL.

Contact the Law Office of Summer R. Nichols to let us take care of this for you properly before you get stuck with a child support amount that is incorrect, or worse, a child support obligation that is for a child who is not yours! There is a deadline in which to do this!

We always do a FREE consultation. Call now: 904.322.7702 or email [email protected]


You may not have known that there are certain situations in which Grandparents CAN have court ordered rights to see their grandchildren, even over a parent's objection.  For instance, if a parent is employed by the U.S. Military and receives military orders, such as deployment, which will make it impossible for that parent to exercise his or her timesharing for at least 90 days, then that parent is permitted to designate a grandparent or other fit person to exercise that timesharing in the military parent's place.  There are other circumstances as well, for instance, if one parent is deceased, missing, or in a persistent vegetative state, and the other parent is convicted or a felony or otherwise a danger to the child, then grandparents may have a right to custody or timesharing with the child.  Contact the Law Office of Summer R. Nichols today for your FREE consultation, to help determine whether YOU may have rights to your grandchildren.